Journal of Developmental Education (JDE)
The Journal of Developmental Education (JDE) is published for YOU - the developmental educator seeking avenues to expand your professional knowledge and expertise in the field.
- Advice for Novice Researchers Who Wish to Publish Their Results (PDF)
- Author Guidelines (PDF)
- Readers' Service Card
PUBLICATION: Vol 40, Issue 1 - Fall 2016 - Four Decades of JDE Interviews: A Historical Content Analysis by Norman a. Stahl,, Jennifer C. Theriault, and Sonya L. Armstrong.
The JDE is the official publication of the National Association for Developmental Education (NADE), a separate entity from the NCDE. NADE is the largest professional association for developmental educators.
"We are impressed with the involved nature of the readers of the journal."
William J. Donovan, Department of Chemistry, The University of Akron
Ethel R. Wheland, Department of Theoretical and Applied Mathematics, The University of Akron
Coauthors, "Placement Tools for Developmental Mathematics and Intermediate Algebra, Journal of Developmental Education, 32(2).
JDE readers include faculty members, administrative officers, academic officers, and many other professionals concerned with educating academically at-risk college students. The JDE is published as a forum for educators concerned with the practice, theory, research, and news of the postsecondary developmental and remedial community. Its content focuses on basic skills education and includes topics such as developmental writing, developmental mathematics, reading, tutoring, assessment and placement, and program evaluation. Emphasis is placed on manuscripts that relate education theory to practical teaching and learning, expand current knowledge, or clearly demonstrate impact on the field.
The JDE is published three times each academic year in the fall, winter, and spring by the National Center for Developmental Education. Approximate mailing dates for issues are September 1, November 15, and January 25. Subscriptions are available on a one- or two-year basis. The subscriber base draws from educators throughout the United States and international institutions.
The demographics of postsecondary students have changed drastically in recent decades, and this trend shows no signs of diminishing. It is the mission of the NCDE to provide resources for educators who work with academically underprepared adults in college and university settings in order to improve the quality of practice in the field of developmental education. The JDE strives to address the growing need for information, research, and news of the field and to achieve the widest possible dissemination of this information.
Use the link in the Order Publications block on the right to order back issues of the JDE and other NCDE products.
- DEVELOPMENTS - Keeps the developmental educator abreast of the latest news from across the nation affecting the postsecondary developmental education community through a series of short reports.
- IDEAS IN PRACTICE - Details original and innovative classroom methods and teaching techniques for the practitioner.
- FOR YOUR INFORMATION - Lists upcoming conferences, workshops, and meetings of interest to readers.
- CRITICAL THINKING - A regular column focusing on developing critical thinking skills to enhance student success.
- TECHTALK - A regular column discussing computer uses in the developmental classroom/learning lab.
- Advertise with JDE (PDF)
- JDE Board of Editors (PDF)
- See the table of contents (PDF) to view topics and abstracts from the 10 most recent volumes of the Journal of Developmental Education.
- See the index of all volumes (PDF) for articles from all prior issues.
Journal of Developmental Education
National Center for Developmental Education
Appalachian State University
Post Office Box 32098
Boone, North Carolina 28608-2098
Fax: (828) 262-7183
Angie Turrisi, email@example.com, 828-262-2876 (subscription/back issue information/manuscript submission)
Barbara Calderwood, firstname.lastname@example.org, 828-262-6101 (editing questions/manuscript topics/advertising)
- JDE Author Guidelines (PDF) and Checklist. (Information on submitting a manuscript for publication)
- For electronic submissions: Prepare documents according to Author's Guidelines. Simply attach files and email directly to Angie Turrisi, email@example.com, using "New Manuscript Submission" in the subject line.
Special Theme Issue on Developmental Mathematics Available
There are many national projects and statewide initiatives in developmental mathematics designed to address the low rate of success and the overarching issue of student underpreparedness in mathematics. A special issue of the Journal of Developmental Education (Volume 34, Issue 3) was developed to provide an update on emerging models and related promising practices in the field of developmental mathematics.
It includes information on the impact of incorporating study strategies in developmental mathematics, a review of recent initiatives and corresponding practices, an interview with Paul Nolting on improving student success, and reports describing the design and delivery of developmental mathematics curriculum via the mathematics pathway initiative sponsored by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Back issues are available for purchase, and the full table of contents is available for perusal.